Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Happy Holi from Hampi!!

Wow!! What a celebration!!! Holi is one of the most ecstatic of all the festivals, because it is a celebration of the beginning of spring, hence lots of colors. Yes, it is another excuse to have a big party, he he, and you'll often hear it being referred to as the "Festival of Colors." You'll see why with my pictures below!!

I've heard so many different versions of the meaning behind Holi... Most common is like I said, a celebration of spring, another one is that once you wash off all the colors, you are washing sin from your body. It is also known as a "good over evil" celebration. Either way, it is a celebration across the globe where it is happy and fun! Helloo? How often can you throw/splash powdered colors (gulal is the name here) at people and it is more than welcomed? :-)

The night before there are typically bonfires to symbolize the demise of the evil demon Holika. And the next day, Holi, the celebration of good and spring! The North of India is known for it's wild celebrations, and can last up to 5 days, which I think is crazy. Here in the South, since there are such a mix of religions, it is celebrated, but more low-key. Hampi is divided in 2 sections, the bazaar side and then the village across the river. Many tourists, as myself, stay across the river because it is quiet, super green with rice plantations, and just lovely. So basically at 9am a local band comes around, actually started at my guesthouse, and then plays awesome drum music and people just dance, throw colors, and then as the group walks through the village. The group accumulates and everyone is just having fun.. throwing colors at each other.

Here I took some before and after pics:



Yes, I threw that dress away (bought it for $2) and no, the dye did not come off as easily as I thought after my preparation of putting coconut oil over my body to help wash it off. Oh well. :-)

So here are some pics that just capture it all, 'nuff said:



(in case you can't tell, that is me above!)


(me again on the right!)




(my poor hands! It takes days to get the color off!)


(this was fun, everyone just joined together to dance to the drum music!)


(Never thought I would not only go into a dirty river in India, but actually wash myself! Ha!)

Overall, I have to say how impressed I was with how nice everything was. The kids were just soo super cute and innocent and having fun. NOT asking for money or pens or just being annoying. The Indian men did NOT take the opportunity to grope woman, as I would have thought. Instead they were sweet and would put paint on the face or arms, NOT anywhere else. Everyone was just having fun and again, it is a VERY good thing the festival is celebrated from 9-1ish, and NOT at night!

So Happy Holi everyone!!!

I'm off to Bangalore next, then will continue my land-only journey from Mumbai to Chennai. Stay tuned, although it might be a few weeks!!